Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sweet Makes: DIY Handprinted Pillows


Well hello! I know its been a while. Sorry! Everyone is finally well in our house. ( I am on the mend) I've been working on this tutorial for a while. The inspiration for using tile spacers came from when I was organizing my husbands tools and found them. I loved the shape and couldn't wait to try. 

Ingredients:
Fabric- I used a 12X12 piece of an Ikea flat sheet in Khaki

Screen Printing Ink ( You could use Acrylic as well)
Paint Brush
Waterproof Glue
A small piece of scrap wood that is even
Q Tips

And the Magic Ingredient:
TILE Spacers! ( You can get these at any hardware store)

Step 1: Begin by laying out your tile spacers however you want them to appear on your fabric when printing. There are so many different combos:


 

Step 2: Place some glue on each spacer and lay out your design. Allow to dry. ( I was VERY impatient)

Step 3: Grab your paint. I ended up mixing my own color as I was looking for something a little springy. This is a combo of blue, yellow and green Speedball Screen Paint. 


Step 4: Spread some paint on your newly created fabric stamp. 


Step 5: Press on fabric and allow to dry. My prints are not perfect, I actually like it this way. I have done ones that were more identical prints as featured below, but I think it gives it more interest to be a bit different. 


Step 6: Allow to dry and Press.

Step 7: Make a pocket Pillow. Place your pillow form on top of the printed fabric and trace allowing a 1inch seam allowance. Then do the same to your backer fabric allowing slightly more. Cut the backer piece in half and press down an inch on each side and stitch across. Line up pieces so they overlap and place right side down against the right side of your printed fabric. Pin and sew all the way around. Turn and press. Insert pillow form.




I love them because they versatile and can really go with any piece of furniture.


Like this tutorial? Please join the sweet people to the left. 

Linking to: 








Tip Junkie handmade projects

5 comments:

  1. This is a brilliant idea and perfect for using things you already have round the house. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pillows are so cute! I love that you can totally customize them without too much work, haha! Thanks so much for linking up at The Little Birdie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a brilliant idea!! And, I have plenty of tile spacers left over from my recent bathroom renovation!! I would love it if you would link up to my Marvelous Mess party!! I will pick one project to feature on my sidebar for a week!! http://marvelouslymessy.blogspot.com/2011/03/marvelous-mess-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. So clever, so pretty! :)

    I love your craftiness!

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks great...so creative...take a visit to my blog...I'm hosting a giveaway that I think you may like...Mariaelena

    ReplyDelete