Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Sick Day, Soup Day.

I am home today with yet another sick child. This year has been filled with illness, thankfully nothing too serious, but still- where is the health? We have tried the natural remedies, but with a change in daycare and first year as a school teacher I think the germs have been just too strong. My husband has used all of his sick days for the year. FOR THE YEAR. It's February. Goodness.

As we have had sickies in the house I decided to make some soup the other day and of course I have to share this amazingly delicious and simple recipe. The red lentils have a lovely coral color and are so versatile and cook very fast. ( no need to soak) I used to purchase them at a special Mediterranean  marketplace but now Goya also carries them.

I also use organic Better Than Bouillon. It is AWESOME and economical. The little jar can make up to 9 quarts of stock. I always like a weaker stock so often it will make more.

I also often double this recipe as it is very difficult to eat just one bowl :)


Lovely Lentil Soup

2 Onions Chopped
4 Garlic Cloves, minced
Olive oil to cook the onions and garlic
4 tbsp of tomato paste ( feel free to omit)
2 Tsp Cumin
2 tsp Cayenne ( omit if you don't like spicy foods)
Salt and Pepper
2 cups ( about a pound) of red lentils
2 quarts of veggie or chicken broth ( I use Better Than Bouillon)
4 cups water
chopped carrots
2 lemons
3 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro or parsley

Cook up the onions until golden brown. Add garlic. Add tomato paste, cumin, cayenne and S&P, cook for a few mintutes. Add broth, water, lentils and carrots- Cook for 30 minutes on medium heat. Remove from heat and squeeze in lemon juice and fresh cilantro or parsley.

Serve with pita baked with fresh parm and herbs, crusty break or a salad.

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment